Logo

Bulletin Board

Can we REALLY make the claim that video games are making the youth of today violent?
Your account is not active.
Started by Wolf SkullBlade
01 Dec 2012 17:42
SUBSCRIBE
> >>
Wolf SkullBlade (55)
01 Dec 2012 17:48
Pretty self explanatory, but it raises a good point. Supposedly, a staggering 91% of the UK alone spend over 6 hours a day in front of a screen, and this number is rapidly increasing. There's also a near conclusive correlation between the popularity of certain video games and the increase in knife crime, gun shootings, theft and drug use in those aged 15-21. Take Jamie Bulger, for example. That's a good argument for the claim. But, the majority of those aged 15-21 commit less than 4 crimes a year, mainly minor crimes.
What do you guys think?
Don't mess with storms, or you're getting shocked.
rayword45 (151)
01 Dec 2012 18:11
No. But seriously, parents should stop complaining about how "video games are ruining our children" and freaking limit them. If your child is starting to show some screwed-up behavior, then you should limit the games he plays.
Your friendly neighborhood [112]hole is here!
EpicArtifex (89)
03 Dec 2012 01:32
We can. It's just probably wrong.
Black holes suck.
Wolf SkullBlade (55)
05 Dec 2012 08:56
Fair point, viperII, but you have to admit, younger children are playing increasingly more violent video games, and they emulate them. Can you imagine a child copying COD or something, and snapping another child's arm or neck because they've seen it in the game?
Don't mess with storms, or you're getting shocked.
rayword45 (151)
06 Dec 2012 02:31
Well, the simple answer is that kid probably needs to go to rehabilitation for the reality challenged.

If you imitate the stuff you do in violent games, stop playing violent games. And Viper has a point, it's somewhat satisfying to beat the crap out of people in titles like Bully though being satisfied by in-game murder for anger relief is a bit... sketchy.
Your friendly neighborhood [112]hole is here!
WhaleFreak (1104)
06 Dec 2012 21:48
It depends on the person playing it. Not the game.
I don't have anything intelligent to say.
Luisjo96 (3152)
07 Dec 2012 03:48
not really , videogames dont make you violent

the lag and losing does XD
I mean, I'd just put some outdated meme here but does anyone honestly cares?
charizardman283 (93)
07 Dec 2012 15:56
The distinguished luisjo96 spake:
not really , videogames dont make you violent

the lag and losing does XD
I was just about to say that! :L
Besides, why all the hate on video games, what about movies? They can be just as violent?
the game
minicraft (42)
11 Dec 2012 05:45
Depends on the maturity of the child. Also their knowledge of the world, some kids don't actualy find some things as dangerous as they are.
yeah, tis fundyfriday lol
WhaleFreak (1104)
13 Dec 2012 11:22
I say all kids too immature to play violent video games.
I don't have anything intelligent to say.
Luisjo96 (3152)
14 Dec 2012 05:33
all i see is 6 years old kids playing cod games, dumb parents?
yup
I mean, I'd just put some outdated meme here but does anyone honestly cares?
Emford01 (616)
15 Dec 2012 18:03
I think its rather stupid to let 10 year olds and below play M rated games. They have not matured enough, In most cases.
Former BBmin and Gamemin.
Wulvezz4Ever (782)
15 Dec 2012 18:30
Instead of complaining about how video games make kids do bad stuff, he parents should do everything in their power to show them that doing it what they see in on the TV is wrong. To tell the truth, I let my 5 year old sister play COD, and not once has she acted violent. She thinks its cool and all but she knows its just a video game.
On the other side, is my 5 year old cousin. He's uncontrollable. Not saying my Aunt is a bad parent, or that any parent is a bad parent, but that teaching reality and non-reality could probably help.
minicraft (42)
19 Dec 2012 05:22
^My larents never really told me that, you don't see me acting violent lol.

OKAY NOW! Straight to the waffling point. Fact one. Children have (I'm alsmost certain) been inexperienced and thought violence was fine. (But!) Fact 2. Not all children are this way! So yes, I guess some games could make a child violent, but all a parent has to do, is sit down and have a talk with them. Also, there are just some plain out mentally disturbed and sick in the head people in this world. Whether that's the parent or the child, someone needs to talk to them. Rant over.
yeah, tis fundyfriday lol
Syed75 (556)
25 Dec 2012 15:18
Video Games = Anger Management
My ideal life; Living to the fullest, having fun, and geeking on a linux box.
DripDrop (149)
03 Jan 2013 22:40
How is Call of Duty affecting kids' minds?

Well, you can say that it definitely does do something. As stated above, what parent that's completely sane would by a 8 year old a gun game? Gun games and other violent games are only appropriate if your child has grown up knowing what goes on in the news that surround guns. If they come to understand that guns and shooting are actually serious, then there's nothing wrong with letting them play the game.

Obviously, if you see them becoming more and more violent, you're going to do something. Take the game away.

And what's the difference between killing in a movie and killing in a game? There's something VERY different there. In a movie, you're seeing a person kill someone, and you usually tend to feel bad for the person that died. But in games like Call of Duty, you're killing them yourself. And you're happy when you kill them, for selfish reasons.

So, it really depends on how the child is raised and how mature they are that determines whether it's bad for them or not.
I promise you'll be disappointed.
phararulez (1147)
12 Jan 2013 18:44
I think we can.
bloodofgore (453)
18 Jan 2013 22:52
Do you see kids going around town with guns and bats, jacking cars, robbing banks, and mugging people? No. Do you see adults doing that? Yes. Has their motive ever been, "I was playing Call of Duty!"? No. Should parents have more common sense to stop buying violent games IF it did affect their behavior? Yes. If video games did do this, wouldn't they have already dealt with this? Yes.
Ducks
bloodofgore (453)
18 Jan 2013 22:59
This is very annoying. Game developers make it so easy to tell which game is bad. IT'S LIKE FREAKING ELMO! E is for everyone, E+10 is for Everyone over the age of 10, T is for teens, M is for mature, as in MATURE content with MATURE language. Why must we have to fund a research to decide if it is bad when it's as easy as LOOKING AT LETTERS. We should send parents to school and teach them how to look at the bottom right hand of the box and decipher what the rating is.
Ducks
Raisons du Coeur (1521)
27 Jan 2013 12:44
Yes! Video games provide reasonably sturdy blunt objects with which kids can attack each other! Down with video games!
Moo.
> >>

Home Forum Home
Nintendo 3DS is ™ Nintendo Co. Ltd. This website is ©2009-2019 HullBreach Studios. All rights reserved. Members are responsible for their own content. No account information will be given to third-parties without your consent.